Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Liam




Sometimes, well- every time, when I’m cleaning up after you once you’re in bed, I find tiny toys around the house hidden in the smallest spaces. Before you go to bed I think to myself, “I’m constantly cleaning up after this boy.” But then in the quiet of the night, when your cuddling in bed, and I’m left to myself looking around at the mess, I hesitate cleaning up because it’s a reminder that you are here and that you are mine. I find those hidden toys and I put them away in their proper place like a new found treasure. Do you purposely hide those for me to find? I like to think that you do. Those buried treasures are so precious to me once you’re asleep. I tear up when I think about you waddling around trying to find the perfect hiding place for your little toy.

I love each and every breath you take. Your breaths are heavy and loud and purposeful. You bound around the house, mouth wide open, and a high pitched scream flowing from your tiny red lips.

My love for you is immeasurable but it grows stronger every day. I knew that it would but it’s been nothing short of beautiful to watch you grow and change and become you. You are so special to me and your father. You are light, you are love, you are happiness.

Your kisses are unusual but special on their own. I don’t get them often but I cherish the times that you run to me, press your face against mine, and attempt to give me to biggest kiss conceivable. Usually this kiss involves a lot of licking, the dogs example might have to do with that.

Did you know you love to dance? Now- it’s your own interpretation of dancing but dancing nonetheless. You spread your legs, bend at the knees, and begin fearlessly waving your arms in the air. As soon as you hear a beat- whether it’s my voice or the t.v. in the background, you dance and it seems effortless to you. The pure joy and pride that evolves as soon as you begin to move is priceless to me. I can’t stop smiling when you are dancing for me.

You love when I sing ‘itsy bitsy spider to you’, and I mean it when I say love. You will give me this look and then put your hand close and touch your fingers together prompting me to begin. I sing off key and you smile- which then makes me smile. I change the ending every time so I can tickle you and touch those chunky legs of yours.

When you eat, you always hold out your pinky like you are royalty. I have no idea where you learned that but you have always done it. As soon as you tip back your bottle or pick up a piece of food and bring it to your mouth- the pinky immediately goes straight as if you were drinking a cup of tea. I love your manners.

You are all boy. You like to hit things, smash things, and throw things. Anything really. You are not impartial to having a food fight at the dinner table. We never fight back but we do have to conceal our smiles and quiet laughter. 


No comments:

Post a Comment