Friday, January 17, 2014

Meet the Brackens

The morning of Christmas eve our little family headed out to visit my mom's side! My mom's older brother and sister still live in Philadelphia, Aunt Rosellen and Uncle Gerry. Aunt Rosellen has been a Catholic Nun since she was 18 years old! We drove out to visit her at the convent. She has been with St. Paul's convent for over 27 years now. She has dedicated her life to God and serving those around her. It was such a special experience getting to spend time with her and my Uncle Gerry. We spent the few hours we were there visiting, opening presents, and catching up.

This is my Uncle Gerry. This is the 2nd time we've ever met! I wish so bad we lived closer because he is such a funny guy. When I was born he gave me a blanket/quilt that was handstitched by the Amish community. Subsequently, I named the blanket my "Uncle Gerry blanket" and still have it to this day. I slept with it up until I went to college. For christmas, he got Liam his very own "Uncle Gerry blanket"! It was a very special present indeed but I don't know if it was the hormones or what but I totally started crying when I pulled it out. It was such a sentimental gift and I don't think he knows how special it was to me. Of course, I tried explaining but I just looked like a sobbing mess. I wish I could spend more time with these two so it was really nice being able to see them for Christmas!

Before we left my Aunt Rosellen asked if we wanted to see the chapel they use everyday for their services and prayer meetings. I was so excited at the offer, we really haven't had a religious discussion since I joined the church and became LDS. I always worry that she doesn't think we are christian so I thought this would be the perfect missionary opportunity to talk about Christ. I was excited to go into a catholic chapel because it's something that is close to my heart because of my heritage and upbringing. I knew that I would see the Savior on the alter. I was excited to take Liam in there so he could see all the pictures of Jesus.

At home and at church, Liam can easily point out who Jesus in pictures and videos (thank you Living Scriptures). So- because of this I was thinking, "Oh this will be perfect, we'll go into the chapel and I'll show Aunt Rosellen that my son knows and recognizes Jesus!!! She'll know we're christian then and won't worry about me anymore."

So, as soon as we walk into the chapel, I see the Savior on the cross above the alter. I turn to Liam (making sure Aunt Rosellen is nearby) and ask reverently, "Liam, who is that?"

"SANTA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Yes. Santa.

My son called the Savior, Santa. I was mortified. I tried asking again and again and his response only gew louder. Neal was laughing at the back of the chapel as I quickly grew more and more embarrassed. So rather than proving to my Aunt that we know and love Jesus, she got to see that Liam knows and loves Santa just a little bit more this Christmas season. I guess we have some work to do :)


*Picture time was cutting into nap time. I think he was upset we made him leave the room that had "Santa" everywhere. 

No comments:

Post a Comment