Sunday, September 25, 2011

And then there were three

As soon as I was admitted to the hospital and realized that this was really happening, we called our parents to tell them the goods news. Both of our parents were able to head down from Salt Lake. I was ecstatic that they were all going to make it for Liam's birthday!

I was admitted to the hospital around 7:30am. My contractions were still coming every 2-3 minutes and I was already dialated to a 5+. My nurse advised me that if I want an epidural that I'll need to get it soon because of how fast I was progressing. I thought I would be nervous about it but I was actually quite calm. My contractions weren't unbearable so I felt like I was coping out by getting an epidural so soon. By the time the anathesiologist arrived, I was just about a 6, 100% effaced, and had been laboring for only 2 and a half hours. This doctor was hilarious though and totally made Neal and I feel comfortable. He walked in and I thought I was in one of those Axe Cologne commercials. I could not believe how amazing this man smelt. I even commented on it and we all got a laugh about it. Seriously though, he smelt so good. I was half tempted to find out what he was wearing so I could get Neal some... it smelt that good. So I don't know if it was his intoxicating smell or what but the epidural went so smooth. I was able to sit at the edge of the bed and bury my head into Neal's chest while he held my hands. I was squeezing his hands so tight in anticipation for the pain I thought was coming. It never came! It felt just like getting poked with a needle but with some added pressure. The epidural kicked in so fast, I was in heaven! The rest of the day went by so smoothly because of this baby. Modern Medicine is my best friend!

My parents arrived around one and the chaos began. I was around a 7 at that point so we were just playing the waiting game as I continued to progressed. All I remember from that time was taking lots of pictures, laughing, and hearing my dad express his shock with how comfortable I was. He kept insisting that labor should not be like this, I needed to be screaming or something in order for this to be real to him haha So- to kill time, by dad decided to teach Neal how to properly "pace" in anticipation for his first son to arrive. They both did a really good job but I still think my dad "out-paced" Neal. Apparently he's had some experience with pacing.
We waited and waited and waited. I'm so glad my parents were there with Neal and I to help pass the time. I felt like that day flew by when in reality we were at the hospital for close to 11 hours before any action started happening.
4pm rolled around and I was finally at a 10, fully effaced, and having contractions every 2-3 minutes. An hour before that they had given me pitocin to speed up my contractions after the epidural. The doctor advised that we still wait to begin pushing until after Liam's head dropped lower on his own. By 6pm he was low enough that we could begin pushing!

(this picture was taken BEFORE the real pushing began... trust me)
At 6:10pm with Neal at my side I began to purse. I had two nurses there to coach me through it. They were amazing and such a big help. In just under 20 minutes they could see Liam's head and everyone was so excited that he was coming so fast! I kept thinking to myself, "there is no way that this is going to be that easy" And boy was a right about that! The nurses advised me that the next part is going to be the most difficult. It's when the baby tucks his chin and goes under the pelvic bone. So I geared up and pushed as hard as I could. I didn't feel any pain but I could still feel pressure and I knew where the baby was. I felt like I could feel enough to tell where I needed to push and how hard. I felt confidant I could get this baby out!

By this point both my parents were by my side, along with Neal, all cheering me on. It sounded like we were at a football game! "GO GO GO, HARDER ERIN, FOCUS, GREAT JOB, YOU'RE DOING IT!" It was definitely a loud but positive environment for me. I was so motivated and they all kept me going. They probably kept me going a little too long because after 3 hours of pushing the doctor told me that my fever was continuing to rise, the baby hadn't moved a centimeter in the past 2 hours, and that my safest bet was a c-section. The baby was a lot bigger then they had anticipated and my tailbone sticks up where it shouldn't. Liam would have had to go over my tailbone and then under my pelvic bone. Impossible. So that's why forceps and vacuum were ruled out. It was inevitable that I needed to have a c-section in order for him to come out safely. I understood, I wasn't upset, and I knew that it was coming. I did everything I could in my power to deliver him naturally but my body just wasn't going to let that happen.

This was Neal and I before we left for the surgery room. He was amazing during the entire delivery. He kept cheering me on, holding my hand, and kissing my forehead. I felt so much love and support from him the entire time. I was so grateful that they were letting him go into surgery with me. I couldn't have done it alone.
As they began surgery, I kept praying that I could be strong for Liam, that he would arrive here safely without any complications during the procedure. I couldn't feel a thing, I just listened intently, waiting for the doctors to say something. Everyone seemed really calm so I knew it was all going well. My doctor started laughing and then the rest of the team followed. Apparently, Liam was stuck pretty tight in the birth canal so it took awhile for the doctors to get him out. As soon as they were about to pull him out Liam tried to dive back in haha Apparently he was not too excited about coming out right then. I doctors were finally to get him out and they passed him off to the nurse. I didn't hear any crying but no one was freaking out either. They brought him around the curtain so i could see him. It was all such a blur. All I could see was the huge baby! Well, huge in my eyes haha His legs dangled as they held him up and they were totally blue. I immediately began to worry because he still hadn't cried. They rushed him into the other room, Neal kissed me on the forehead, and then he left to be with our new son. What seemed like minutes was probably only a couple seconds but they finally got him to cry. I immediately began to tear up just from hearing him. I was so happy that he was okay! I was in shock that he was finally here!

Liam weighed in at 7 lbs 8 ounces. A little bigger than what we had all anticipated haha You can see from the picture below that we thought he came out with red hair! While I was still in the OR Neal asked the nurse to go in and inform me that we have a little red head on our heads. I was so confused- red hair!?! I was so excited though because he's our little irish man :)
Neal was able to be with Liam the entire time he was getting cleaned and measured. He was just under 19 inches and was born at 9:27pm.
After I was stiched up, they rolled by bed back into a recovery room where I was greeted by Neal, our sweet little boy, and my parents. It was love at first sight. All I wanted to do was hold him in my arms all night long. We were able to do skin to skin right away and then I was able to feed him. I couldn't believe how natural everything came to me. I knew that this is what I was meant to be, a mother. When Liam first looked into my eyes, I couldn't hold myself together. I just began crying. I never felt that kind of love before in my entire life. He is so special to me. All I could say to him over and over was how much I love him and how excited I was to finally have him in our family. It was amazing and I wish I could relive that night and especially that moment.
Aside from seeing my son for the first time, the best moment of the night was to watch Neal with him. Liam just stared at him! It was unbelievable. I was so proud of my husband. I couldn't believe that we did this together and he was finally a dad. I am so excited to raise Liam with Neal. I couldn't have picked a better partner for me and our family. We are so lucky to have Neal :) Neal is head over heels in love with Liam.

Liam- we are so grateful that you chose US to be your parents. You have already brought such a love and happiness into our lives, I don't know how we lived without you. I look forward to so much but I'm enjoying every second I have with you now. You are the most precious thing to your dad and I. We want to spoil you with love so you never have to question how much you mean to us. We love you more than you'll never know.


1 comment:

  1. Poor Erin! We did forceps with Jadyn and I remember thinking in my recovery, "What just happened to my body?" and sobbing!

    If you need anything, please call. We have a walker and wheelchairs if you need it at all.

    That immediate love is so wonderful! I am so happy for you! Jadyn went to bed that night and made me promise to go into her room and tell her when you had Liam. She was a bit excited!

    ReplyDelete